Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 6 (aka "Screeching Reunions") (aka "Cherished Memories Part 4") (aka "THE FIRST DAY OF CAMP!")

Today I'm combining my "daily journal" of the Slovenia trip with my "Cherished Memories" series because, well, why not?

Day 6 of our trip was amazing.  Like, the whole entire day.  Like, this post is going to be long because it was so awesome.

The morning started off with a great team devotion at the top of the hill at orientation.  We talked about Philippians 4:4-9 (my favorite verses and verses that we talked about during morning devotions on our last trip to Slovenia) (I'm looking at you Travis).  Afterward, we took some group pictures and enjoyed the view.  We then walked back down to our rooms to get ready to go.  We packed our bags, drug them down the stairs, and loaded them in the cars.  We then took turns getting rides down to a rest area where the bus picked us up.  Then we waited and waited and waited.  FINALLY, the bus showed up and I flipped out.  I ran and jumped and screamed and hugged my friends that I met at Winter Camp last year.  It was so wonderful.  It was amazing.  This is the "cherished memory" of the day.  It was great knowing that the students missed me as much as I missed them.  We immediately got to hanging out, talking, laughing, telling (bad) jokes, and singing songs.  I also started meeting new students and tried (and failed) to learn their names.  We then boarded the bus and embarked on the long drive to the castle.

Once we arrived, we walked up the hill and immediately got to work. The students signed in, received their shirts, wrist bands, and journals and went to get interviewed for English classes.  I went upstairs and started organizing all of the supplies that we would be using for the rest of the week.  This is where my first, last, and only emotional breakdown would happen (which is a success in my book).  Luckily, I had Becky there to keep me calm.  Once we finished, we got settled in our rooms, played games, and continued to try to learn names.  The biggest hurdle was trying to pronounce their names correctly (they roll their R's).

At night program, we started learning the camp dance, the camp songs, and talked about what we would be discussing the rest of the week (God and life).  We then broke off into discussion groups where we would get to know the students in our classes.  Once discussion groups were over, we went back into the main room to play circle games (I freaking love circle games).

Eventually, we all went back to our rooms and got ready for bed.  I did a small devotion, freaked out at the fact that I was in FREAKING SLOVENIA, and then, finally, fell asleep.

I don't think I could have been any happier in that moment.

-Ashley


(The lake.  I'm not sure what that dark spot is.)
 
(Walking up to the castle.)
 
(The castle we lived in for an entire week.)
 
(Another view. Josh took this picture from the villa where the guys stayed.)
 
(Hanging out at camp.)

No comments:

Post a Comment