Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 4 and 5 (aka "orientation is da bomb dot com")

So, I decided to combine day 4 and day 5 of our trip into one post.  The main reason for doing this (besides laziness) is because I can't remember which day we learned certain things.  Orientation kind of blurs together for me, so just having one "Orientation" post sounded like a good idea.

Now I realize that most people hear the word "orientation" and probably shudder and, honestly, I usually do the same.  Orientation is usually synonymous with boredom, facts, rules, and being talked down to (like, "I have information that you don't have and you have to listen to me to get this information that you don't have.").  BUT, I was excited about this orientation.  This one meant seeing friends, laughing A LOT, pranks, gag gifts, dancing, singing, praying, interesting information, chocolate, bonding, unity, and coffee (lots of coffee).  Obviously, the thing I was excited most about was seeing friends that I haven't seen in months (Dan and Barbara), in a year (Brad and Laurel), or in a year and a half (Andrej and Nina).  These people mean a lot to me and the chance to get to reconnect with them was thrilling.

One thing I would like to note is that our camp was not the only camp that was being held the following week.  So at orientation, the workers of multiple camps were being trained there.  It was really cool being able to hang out and learn with others who have a desire to serve in Slovenia.  So, because of that, there were a lot of people there.

At orientation we learned about the cultural differences between Slovenes and Americans, we learned about the history of Slovenia and how it affects Slovenes today (probably my favorite lesson at orientation), we learned how to teach our English classes (this was the most helpful talk), we learned how to lead effective discussion groups, we learned how to share the gospel without speaking "Christianese", and we learned how to reach out to the students using our fingers to remember (thumb = next step discipleship, pointer = direct with respect, middle = listen to Jesus and respond, ring = watch your language dude, pinky = it takes a village to raise a child).  [Note: We actually learned a lot more that just that, but 1) I can't remember it all and 2) this post is already getting too long.]  I really didn't expect to learn as much as I did at orientation.  It went really well.  As a matter of fact, we were asked after camp if there was anything at orientation that we would change, and I couldn't think of anything.  Every lesson was necessary and important and was communicated excellently.

Thanks for reading this long and boring post.  I promise that Day 6 will be exciting because it will be the first day of camp (woo-hoo)!!!!

-Ashley

What do you think of when you hear the word "orientation"?

(Josh's room at orientation. Exciting, huh?)

 (Our team had morning bible studies at the top of a hill near the hostel  This was the view from the top of that hill.)

 (This was right in front of the hostel.)

(Apartments right across the street from where orientation was held.)

(The morning bible study on the last day of orientation.)

 (Josh and I being awesome at orientation.)

(Jesse and Sam are awesome too.)

(So blessed to have met these two ladies. Vanessa and Vesna are super awesome.)

No comments:

Post a Comment